Cruise Passengers set to increase as major expansion announced for Portsmouth International Port
Portsmouth International Port could be welcoming 150,000 per year during the next few years as an £18.7m project has been given the go-ahead.
This is a very exciting prospect for us and for the residents of Portsmouth as a successful cruise port would not only contribute to the council’s budget but improve employment, increase sales for tourist attractions, and make cruise travel more accessible.
The project will begin in November and will be led by construction firm Knights Brown to increase the size of the port so it can manage ships of up to 255m in length.
Mike Sellers, the port’s director said: “Portsmouth is in an enviable location for a cruise, with world-famous attractions and a dramatic waterfront, there are plenty of opportunities to grow the city’s share of the market.”
“More passengers will also drive demand for additional hotels, an increased spend in shops and restaurants, not to mention putting Portsmouth on the international map.”
The expansion could attract cruise ships from companies such as Crystal, Silverseas, Fred Olsen, Saga and CMV.
Portsmouth City Council leader Gerald Vernon-Jackson said: “More passengers will also drive demand for additional hotels, an increased spend in shops and restaurants, not to mention putting Portsmouth o the international map.”
It is also an excellent opportunity for more people in Portsmouth and the surrounding area who have a disability to enjoy an accessible cruise with the help of Mobility at Sea.
- Euro Disney with the i3 Folding Mobility Scooter - We hired an i3 Mobility Scooter to one of our clients going to Disneyland Paris. Read more about their experience with Mobility at Sea in this case study.
- Everything You Need to Know About Celebrity Apex
- Fly Cruise Hire - Mobility at Sea will can provide you with mobility scooters, wheelchairs, and electric wheelchairs for your fly cruise. All with flight compliant lithium batteries, please call our team today for more information.
- Guide to Solo Cruising - Solo Cruising is becoming more popular. Are you feeling worried or anxious about solo travel? This blog highlights ways to make the most out of your cruise adventure. Call 0800 328 1699 for more information.
- Royal Caribbean announces the name of its latest addition to the Oasis Class Fleet - Royal Caribbean's new ship Wonder of the Seas will be added to the fleet in 2021. It will be the largest cruise ship in the world and will call Shanghai its home. Read more in our latest blog.
- Testimonial of Cruiser 12B Powerchair - We've recently introduced the Cruiser 12B Powerchair to our hire fleet and it is proving to be extremely popular.